The Ecodesign Directive, related to the ErP (Energy related Products Directive) one, has been introduced by the EU (European Union) as part of a climate protection program and its commitment to reduce carbon emissions. By 2020 the EU plans to:
- Decrease CO2 emissions by 20%.
- Reduce primary energy use by 20%.
- Increase renewable energy share by 20%.
In order to achieve these targets, the EU introduced the Ecodesign Directive. It defines minimum efficiency requirements for energy-related products such as:
- Water heaters
- Heat pumps
- Solar water heaters
- Heat pump water heaters
- Electric panel heaters
- Bathroom heaters
The ErP Directive includes and must comply with 2 main requirements:
- The Ecodesign Directive sets minimum acceptable energy efficiency levels, as well as environmental requirements for ErP, including electric water heaters.
- The Energy Labeling Directive imposes a mandatory classification of every ErP in terms of: energy consumption, noise level and other product-specific information.
All water heaters need to be ranked from A (highest efficiency) to G (lowest efficiency).
How does the ErP Directive affect the market?
By imposing a restriction on the power consumption of energy-related products, the Directive pushes manufacturers to create products:
- With higher standards
- That are more efficient and competitive
- Which consume less energy
- At lower costs
In addition, the Ecodesign Directive excludes from the market all low performance energy-using products that don’t meet its requirements.
What does Thermor have to offer?
At Thermor, we have been concerned by eco-friendly heating solutions and the energy efficiency of our products for a long time. As a result, we greatly welcome and actively support the new ErP regulation.
As an expert in water heating and being an innovative company owning numerous patented technologies, we understand the importance of improving the ErP energy efficiency and global performance. That is the reason why all our electric water heaters are ErP-compliant!
What are the benefits of the ErP regulation?
Making ErP-compliant products, constantly working on quality and efficiency improvement, allows our end-users and partners to benefit from products and services compliant with the new European Directive. Here below are listed the benefits everyone can expect from the ErP regulation:
- Increased long-term energy efficiency, allowing energy and money savings.
- Contribution to environmental protection due to reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
- Easier product choice thanks to a transparent energy information.
- Removal of inefficient and polluting products from the market.
You will find the energy efficiency classification of our products falling under the ErP regulation on the dedicated product pages and related technical sheets.
With this quick overview, you should be able to find your way through the new European ErP Directive easily. That is the first step to properly choose a Thermor appliance best suited for your purposes.